Monday, December 27, 2010

There's No Place Like Moscow

I'm not joking when I say I have no idea where I am.  I got on a train and 14 hours later got off in some little town that isn't quite sure if it's still in colonial times or in the middle of the projects in Compton.  I think they refer to this part of Russia as Rossosh?
We have no running water, our meals consist mostly of bones, each room is decorated with it's own flare ranging in style from my great grandmother's home to my unborn 3 year old daughter's princess room.  The doors like to jam shut leaving us locked outside for as little as 25 minutes and I am pleasantly rocked to sleep by the sound of rats scurrying around the room and chewing on whatever crumbs we left behind during snack time a few hours earlier.  
The only three things that have kept me sane is Wi-Fi.....yes miraculously there is Wi-Fi (at least they have their priorities straight picking internet over running water), drawing mustaches on my fingers and playing different roles whether it be Charlie Chaplin, Hitler, or just a girl with a mustache, and third, the thought of going somewhere for New Years.  
Well at least that was keeping me going until I found out all airports in Moscow are closed because for some reason we got rain and then hit hard by a cold front resulting in layers and layers of ice on the ground.  At least I won't have to walk to practice anymore.  I will just trade in my Ugg boots for some ice skates.  I'm so excited to get back to Moscow just for this reason.  I actually miss the place.

YAY! Isn't this fun?!