Friday, July 23, 2010

Timeless and Beautiful

I went over to my mother's friends place yesterday to see this collection of perfume bottles her friend had put together over the years.

On the drive over my mom was telling me how she had her entire house renovated in order to install display cases for her perfume bottles and the bottles ranged in price from $2,000 to $25,000.
First thought that crossed my mind, "what a nut job!"
1. Why would you renovate your house to display perfume bottles?
2. Why would you spend an ungodly amount of money for such a pointless object?

After about 30 minutes of turning down every wrong street trying to find the home that held these perfume bottles I was even more frustrated by the fact that I decided to tag along to see something that I was so disinterested in.

But I must admit, when I walked into this self constructed museum of colorful, delicate, and intricate designs that held some of the most fascinating stories from as far back as the 1600's, I was awe struck.
This woman had to have had thousands of bottles all categorized by their color all over her house.
Some of the bottles still had perfume in them!

All the colors and pretty little feminine designs started to make me wish I had thousands of pretty little bottles to put around my house.  I even went so far as to buy one from her to start my own little collection even though my first antique perfume bottle purchase will probably be my last.
Definitely worth the trip.